"As the dust settles on the digital media revolution, the printing industry is displaying its extraordinary capacity for innovation by emerging stronger than ever. While other industries spend much of their time discussing the implications of Industry 4.0, online print shops speed ahead as the undisputed front-runners in industrial implementation."
Thomas Rienessl, Head of Business Development, Industries
"High Precision Motion Control is the key to getting perfect print quality on today's high-speed presses."
Dr. Engelbert Grünbacher, Team Leader - Motion Control Firmware Development
Trends toward increased individualization and personalization for targeted marketing campaigns are driving demand for shorter print runs and faster turnaround times.
Goals such as increased production flexibility, reduced downtime, minimized wastage and more efficient line integration can all be achieved much more easily with an integrated automation solution.
Maximum design flexibility:
- Scalable drive technology from 50 W to 120 KW
- One automation system for servo, stepper and DC motors
The challenge at the heart of today's market is to achieve cost-effective, error-free production of short-run print jobs at reproducible high quality. B&R offers high-precision motion control and ready-made Technology Solutions:
B&R's flexible safety technology makes it easy to implement safety solutions in accordance with EN 1010 and EN 13849.
- Smaller safety clearances for more compact machines
- Response times 10x faster than conventional solutions
- Continued production at reduced speed following safety event
- Elimination of costly machine downtime
High production line availability is a key requirement of the printing industry.
- Completely redundant automation system
- Predictive maintenance based on condition monitoring
- Intuitive diagnostic functions
With B&R as a global partner, your automation components are available when and where you need them.
The ability to offer license-protected software provides the technological foundation for new business models:
- Handle licensed options in the machine software
- 2 tamper-proof hour meters
- "Try before you buy" option
A modular design allows custom solutions to be built from a standardized set of machine modules.
B&R's dedication to this approach has resulted in a broad selection of distributed automation components including I/O modules, servo drives and motors as well as modular safety technology. The Automation Studio engineering environment provides sophisticated features for highly efficient software modularization.
For today's print media production, optimum utilization of energy and resources is essential to profitability. ISO 50001 provides a global standard that applies to all industries.
B&R's portfolio comprises a broad spectrum of solutions that facilitate the process of continual improvement:
- Energy measurement
- Energy flow monitoring at the machine/production level
- Regenerative drive systems
- Replacement of pneumatic components
Whether fully integrated or standalone, these solutions are easy to incorporate into an existing automation landscape with minimal risk.
Automation systems from B&R fulfill all the requirements of modern digital production, allowing you to:
- Implement digital printing technology
- Achieve a 100% digital workflow
- Connect your production line to a worldwide communication network
Digital post-press technology allows custom finishing of individual printed items without the expensive buffers that are otherwise required. Implement a fully digital workflow by connecting machines with the real-time capabilities of a POWERLINK network.