With more than 3,400 employees and 200 offices worldwide, B&R Industrial Automation is one of the largest and most successful companies in industrial automation. We offer first-class control, drive, industrial PC, and visualization solutions, continuing to set new standards within the automation industry.
B&R was founded in Eggelsberg, Austria in 1979 and rapidly became a global company. In 2014, the Japanese headquarters was founded in Yokohama - Kanagawa, which is the epicenter for all Japanese B&R sales activities. In 2017, B&R Industrial Automation became part of ABB Group, further enabling B&R to continue its established trajectory of growth and success.
B&R are looking for a highly-qualified, motivated application engineer to join our team.
B&R offers an excellent opportunity to work for an international company with a great working environment. You will be part of a fun, dynamic team and work closely with our Austrian headquarters, partners, customers and B&R colleagues, as well as enjoy a mixture of travel and office time.
Then, you will be able to take all you have learned and provide our customers with state-of-the-art automation solutions. Your hands-on projects will include optimizing existing systems and integrating new solutions involving PLCs, industrial computers, process instrumentation, project management and other control devices. This position is responsible for materials specification, design, development, and commissioning customer-specific software solutions using PLC and HMI programming.
Overall, the Application Engineer performs a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform:
- Review automation application needs and document requirements
- Estimate implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Create project plans
- Develop and document control application designs
- Program automation applications
- Develop formal test plans and scripts, then execute testing
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
- Track and report project status
- Travel to customer locations to resolve technical problems
Upon hire, you will attend a 12-week training program in our HQ in Austria (Online as of March 2022). In this program, one of our experienced engineers will lead you through a university level automation curriculum that includes:
- B&R Product Training
- Controls programming
- Motion physics and motion control programming
- Motor training, induction, servo and stepper motors
- Fieldbus systems and controls communications
- PID control
- Programmable safety
- Control program debugging and troubleshooting
After an initial period of lecture, the course includes lab projects that reinforce topics and teach applications such as temperature control, pick and place, gearing and sort operations.
- Native level of Japanese language and business/advance level of English language
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME) or other relevant STEM degrees
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferred ‘C’
- Great interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Travel is approximately 10%
- This includes:
- Regional day trips to work with a customer on-site
- On rare occasion can include short notice service trips to end-user sites within the country (1-5 day duration, 1-2 per year)
- Travel can include training or internal meetings in Austria (~0.5-1/year)
Interest and/or exposure in the following areas are preferred:
- Motion control systems
- IEC 61131-3 Programming languages (Primarily ladder diagram & structured text)
- ANSI C
- In depth knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Visual Basic 6.0, Visual Studio .NET, Python
- Real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
Social Insurance (Health, Pension, and Employment), Annual Paid Holidays, Summer Holidays (3 days), Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks), Maternity/Childcare Leave, Long-term Disability Insurance, Group Life Insurance, Congratulatory/Condolence Money & Leave, Hama-Friend (Benefit Station), Employee Assistance Program, etc.
- Holiday: Saturday・Sunday・National Holiday・Year-end & New year Holidays
- Working Hour: 9:00-18:00
- Overtime Work: 10 to 20 hours/month (depending on tasks/projects) *40 hours of fixed overtime allowance is included in a monthly salary
Join the Automation Team!
If you think that you have what it takes to accept this great position, we want to talk to you!
Please send a cover letter and resume (with Japanese rirekisho & shokumu-keirekisho) to jobs.jp@ br-automation.com
The application engineering position is a blend of Mechanical, Electrical and Software engineering. The best candidates highlight examples of projects or work experience showing cross-disciplinary skills.
In your cover letter, please include the following:
1. What most interests you about the position.
2. Any specific experience (including personal projects) with Robotics, PLCs or Micro Controllers.