Determining the 8KS order code
Cooling types C and D
8KS three-phase synchronous motors with cooling types C and D are externally cooled using a centrifugal fan. Two different mounting directions can be ordered (position A to the left and position B to the right). Cooling type C permits flange mounting and base mounting on a B-type base. Cooling type D permits flange mounting and base mounting on the A and B side.
Cooling type J
8KS three-phase synchronous motors with cooling type J are externally cooled using a highly efficient water cooling system. Size 8KSJ9 has two independent cooling circuits. The connection direction for size 8 8KSJ motors is always to the right. Size 9 8KSJ motors must always be connected on both sides. 8KSJ permits flange mounting and base mounting on a B-type base. The foot mounting on the A-side is not possible with this cooling type for mechanical reasons!
8KS motors are available in various sizes (8 or 8 and 9) depending on their construction. These different sizes are indicated by a number represented by (c) in the model number. The larger the number, the larger the flange dimensions and power rating for the respective motor.
- Cooling typeAvailable sizes89CYesYesDYes--JYesYesLYesYesMYes---
Encoder system (ee)
LTN resolvers are used in 8KS servo motors.
- NameOrder code (ee)R0Accuracy± 6 angular minutesVibration during operation
55 < f ≤ 2000 Hz≤ 500 m/s²Shock during operation
Duration 11 ms≤ 1000 m/s²
Technical data for the resolver
The shock values for the motor must be observed at all times!
EnDat 2.1 encoder
EnDat is a standard developed by Johannes Heidenhain GmbH that incorporates the advantages of absolute and incremental position measurement while also offering a read/write parameter memory in the encoder. With absolute position measurement (the absolute position is sampled serially), a homing procedure for referencing is usually not required. Where necessary, a multi-turn encoder should be installed. To reduce costs, a single-turn encoder and a reference switch can also be used. In this case, a homing procedure must be carried out. The incremental process allows the short deceleration periods necessary for position measurement when using drives with highly dynamic characteristics. With the sinusoidal incremental signal and the fine resolution in the EnDat module, a very high positioning resolution is achieved in spite of the moderate signal frequencies used.
Different types of EnDat 2.1 encoders can be used depending on requirements:
- NameOrder code (ee)E6E7Encoder typeEnDat single-turnEnDat multi-turnOperating principleOpticalOpticalEnDat protocolEnDat 2.1EnDat 2.1Resolution2048-line2048-lineRecognizable
Revolutions---4096Number of lines20482048Accuracy±20"±20"Cutoff frequency≥ 130 kHz (-3 dB)≥ 130 kHz (-3 dB)Vibration during operation 4)
55 < f ≤ 2000 Hz≤ 300 m/s²≤ 300 m/s²Shock during operation 5)
Duration 6 ms≤ 2000 m/s²≤ 2000 m/s²Manufacturer's product IDOn requestOn request
Technical data – EnDat 2.1 encoders
EnDat 2.2 encoder – Safety-related position measurement systems
In machine and system manufacturing, the topic of safety is becoming more and more important. This is mirrored in legislation and stricter safety criteria in national and international standards. Most importantly, stricter requirements serve to protect personnel, but they also increasingly serve to protect property and the environment. The goal of functional safety is to minimize or eliminate dangerous situations that can occur in machines and systems either with or without operational errors. This is generally achieved by implementing redundant systems. Moving axes in safety-oriented applications require position information in order to be able to carry out their corresponding safety functions. Different system configurations can be implemented to get independent position values. One possibility is using two measuring instruments per axis. To keep costs down, the aim is often to create a solution with only one position measuring instrument. Until now, analog measuring instruments with sine/cosine signals were used for this purpose. The encoder manufacturer Heidenhain – as the first manufacturer with the purely serial EnDat 2.2 protocol for safety position measurement systems – offers a serial single-encoder solution in accordance with IEC 61 508 SIL2. All the advantages of serial data transfer – such as cost optimization, diagnostics possibilities, automatic commissioning and high-speed generation of position values – can now benefit safety applications as well.
100% inspection during production and additional measures during final testing ensure errors have not occurred related to shaft and coupling connections on rotary encoders when using motors with S encoders (in accordance with EN ISO 13849-2).
There are also a number of safety functions that are already possible with D encoders.
Information regarding the area of application and the procedure for setting up various safety functions can be found in the "ACOPOSmulti SafeMOTION" user's manual. (Model number: MAACPMSAFEMC-GER ACOPOSmulti SafeMOTION or in the Downloads section of our website)
EnDat 2.2 encoders can be used for functional safety in single-turn or multi-turn form, depending on requirements.
- NameOrder code (ee)S0S1Encoder typeEnDat single-turn functional safetyEnDat multi-turn functional safetyOperating principleOpticalOpticalEnDat protocolEnDat 2.2EnDat 2.2Position values per revolution33 554 432 (25-bit)33 554 432 (25-bit)Distinguishable revolutions---4096Precision±20"±20"Vibration during operation1)10 to 2000 Hz≤300 m/s2 (IEC 60068-2-6)≤300 m/s2 (IEC 60068-2-6)Shock during operationDuration 6 ms≤2000 m/s2 (IEC 60068-2-27)≤2000 m/s2 (IEC 60068-2-27)Manufacturer's product IDOn request
Rated speed (nnn)
8KS three-phase synchronous motors can be delivered with different nominal speeds depending on the size and length.
- Motor size and lengthAvailable nominal speeds nN [rpm]10001100150016002000250030008KSC8--Yes--YesYesYesYes8KSD8--Yes--YesYesYesYes8KSL8--YesYesYesYesYes8KSM8--Yes--YesYesYesYes8KSC92,94Yes--Yes--YesYesYes8KSC95Yes--Yes--YesYes--8KSC96Yes--Yes--Yes----8KSL92,94Yes--Yes--YesYesYes8KSL95Yes--Yes--YesYes--8KSL96Yes--Yes--Yes----
- Motor size and lengthAvailable nominal speeds nN [rpm]100015002000250030008KSJ82, 84, 85YesYesYesYesYes8KSJ86YesYesYesYes--8KSJ92YesYesYesYes--8KSJ94YesYesYes----8KSJ95YesYes------8KSJ96Yes--------
Motor version (h)
Determining the order code for motor options (ff)
Motor options for cooling types C, D and J (centrifugal fans and water cooling)
- Motor optionConnectiondirectionOil sealHolding brakeShaft endMounting direction / connection directionCooling unitCode for the order key (ff)Terminal box on the top, cable outlet is 270° (right)NoNoSmoothFan on the leftA0KeyedFan on the leftA1NormalSmoothFan on the leftA2KeyedFan on the leftA3NoSmoothFan/Water lines on the rightB0KeyedFan/Water lines on the rightB1NormalSmoothFan/Water lines on the rightB2KeyedFan/Water lines on the rightB3
NOTE: For 8KSJ motors, it is onlypossible to select "B" options since the water lines on the 8KSJ8 are always located on the right side. For size 8KSJ9, it must always be connected on both sides since two cooling circuits must be supplied.
Motor options for cooling types L and M (axial fans)
- Motor optionConnection directionOil sealHolding brakeShaft endMounting direction / connection direction for the cooling unitCode for the order key (ff)Terminal box on the top, cable outlet is 270° (right)NoNoSmoothAxialC0KeyedAxialC1NormalSmoothAxialC2KeyedAxialC3
A fan-cooled 8KS three-phase synchronous motor with size84 is selected for the application. The motor should be equipped with a mounting base on the A side in addition to the existing mounting base on the B side. The name is therefore 8KSD. A single-turn encoder with functional safety was chosen. The required speed is 2500 rpm. The radially-mounted fan should be on the left side of the motor. A brake is not required, the output shaft should be smooth. The fan should be equipped with a filter that is available as a special option.
The code (ee) for the encoder system is S0.
The code (nnn) for a nominal speed of 2500 rpm is 025.
The option code (ff) for fan-cooled 8KS motors with the fan on the left side is always "A". All 8KS motors are equipped with a terminal box (position on the top and cable channel outlet on the right, that corresponds to 270°). The no holding brake and smooth shaft options result in "0", so the option code is "A0"
The special option code (gg) for the filter (square filter) is 15.
The model number for the required motor is 8KSD84.S0025A015-0
A water-cooled 8KSJ three-phase synchronous motor with size92 is selected for the application. A multi-turn encoder with functional safety was chosen. The required speed is 2000 rpm. A brake is not required, the output shaft should have a keyway.
The code (ee) for the encoder system is S1.
The code (nnn) for a nominal speed of 2000 rpm is 020.
The option code (ff) for water-cooled 8KSJ motors is always "B". All 8KS motors are equipped with a terminal box (position on the top and cable channel outlet on the right, that corresponds to 270°). The no holding brake and shaft key options result in "1", so the option code is "B1"
No special options.
The model number for the required motor is 8KSJ92.S1020B100-0