Despite the many changes that secondary packaging has undergone over the years, it continues to be a significant marketing element. In the perpetual cycle of brand competition, manufacturers grapple for consumers' attention by experimenting with various formats, geometric shapes, ergonomic designs and vivid graphics.
Highly efficient machines can dramatically reduce the cost of packaging film. Better machines produce better quality, even with thinner, less expensive film.
Controlling motion with complete flexibility
When electronic cam profiles are used in packaging machines, it is often necessary to change motion profiles on a running machine. Some examples include product or packaging changeover, registration mark correction, simultaneous cut-and-seal functions, belt tracking and product handling. The B&R Cam Profile Automat allows machine operators to change motion profiles dynamically without requiring any new calculations on the controller. Application development becomes easier, faster and more robust since performance is guaranteed independently of the controller's processing power, network connectivity and the number of axes being controlled.
The Cam Profile Automat allows new profiles to be generated and stored directly on the servo drive every 400 µs. The programmer can define a variety of boundary conditions and limits such as profile type, position, speed, acceleration and rotation. The optimal transition profile is calculated in real time, taking into consideration external events such as hardware and software states.
B&R's Cam Profile Automat combines the advantages of centralized programming, distributed performance and highly flexible profile changes – all at the top speeds achieved by the fastest machines on the market. Cam profiles are programmed and configured in B&R's Automation Studio engineering environment. The B&R Cam Profile Automat is a 100% software solution provided as a standard feature on all ACOPOS servo drives.
B&R offers hardware and software solutions for fast and easy development of mechatronic machines with options that can easily satisfy the requirements of the end user.
- Servo motors with an integrated drive: ACOPOSmotor
- Servo motors with a decentrally mounted IP67 drive: ACOPOSremote
- IP67 and IP20 I/O, optional safety modules: X20, X67 I/O modules
- Stepper motors: 80MP and ACOPOSmicro
- Modular machine design
B&R offers machine builders a comprehensive selection of motor types. The Generic Motion Control (GMC) concept allows the software to be developed independently of the motor type. For each mechatronic module in a machine, the OEM can select whatever solution offers the greatest amount of freedom, which in turn saves time, resources and money.
Film control – B&R's specialty
All types of rolled packaging material, including ultra-thin and elastic films, can be processed perfectly with B&R's technology library. Automatic speed control adjustments as well as feed forward control for speed and acceleration maintain the necessary tension during the acceleration and deceleration phases of high-speed packaging machines.
- Winding/Unwinding with open-loop torque-based tension control
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, analog dancer feedback
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, digital encoder feedback
- Automatic roll change with high-precision sensorless diameter calculation
- Intelligent, predictive registration mark correction with the MC_BR_RegMarkCapture library
- Precise temperature control during heating and cooling with integrated autotuning algorithm
Controlled axis-synchronized stopping
The intelligent B&R ACOPOSmulti motion control system automatically detects dips in the primary power supply and initiates an emergency shutdown. The kinetic energy that remains in the motors is used to maintain automation functionality until the system reaches a complete stop. The ACOPOSmulti's active power supply module generates 24 VDC for the controllers, I/O modules and drives – eliminating the need for a UPS. The intelligent solutions from B&R prevent production wastage and eliminate the time-consuming process of getting the plant up and running again after a power failure.
- Direct-drive control of the film cutting axis
- Simple integration of IP67 door locks
- Stainless steel HMI panels with hygienic design
- Safe motion control and safe responses
- Low-threshold error detection in the 80 - 7 ms range
- Preventative maintenance: Integrated vibration signature analysis for condition monitoring
- Integrated vision inspection via POWERLINK
- RFID access control for machine operation
- OMAC PackML conformity
- SDM: Web-based diagnostics with an unprecedented level of detail
- The ultimate solution for maintenance tasks
- On-site or remote access
- No training required
- No programming tools
- Low costs
- Efficient design