Horizontal form fill seal (HFFS) systems are in high demand in both developed and developing markets around the world. Machine builders everywhere face the same challenge: implementing new, sustainable packaging technology while at the same time increasing output. B&R offers the perfect automation solution for every HFFS requirement.
Maximum motion control performance
With the real-time Ethernet POWERLINK protocol and B&R's comprehensive range of motion control solutions, production lines can move up to 2,000 products per minute. B&R allows you to simultaneously boost both quality and productivity.
With a communication cycle of 400 µs and a current control loop of 50 µs, the ACOPOS series provides the extremely fast, event-based cam profile transitions that today's high-speed packaging machines need. With no programming whatsoever, the drive compensates for cam profile deviations every 400 µs. This outstanding performance is completely independent of how powerful the controller is or how many real or virtual axes are used in the application.
The touch probe inputs on the ACOPOS series are processed in the sub-microsecond range and are perfectly suited for applications such as registration mark control, belt synchronization, rotary or fly cutting and quality control. This speed makes it possible to react in real time and perform smoother transitions between motion profiles without any impact on development of the application software.
Film control – B&R's specialty
All types of rolled packaging material, including ultra-thin and elastic films, can be processed perfectly with B&R's technology library. Automatic speed control adjustments as well as feed forward control for speed and acceleration maintain the necessary tension during the acceleration and deceleration phases of high-speed packaging machines.
- Winding/Unwinding with open-loop torque-based tension control
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, analog dancer feedback
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, digital encoder feedback
- Automatic roll change with high-precision sensorless diameter calculation
- Intelligent, predictive registration mark correction with the MC_BR_RegMarkCapture library
- Precise temperature control during heating and cooling with integrated autotuning algorithm
Gluing, marking and waste detection with 1 µs precision
B&R NetTime provides high-performance synchronization in real time via POWERLINK. Multiple encoder positions (real or virtual) and distributed I/O channels (analog or digital) are synchronized with 1 µs precision.
This eliminates the need for external devices for digital cam switching required by high-speed packaging machines for applications such as shooting glue, marking products and rejecting waste.
NetTime digital output patterns can be controlled with extremely short high/low times for a resolution of 125 ns. In the same way, fast input edges such as registration marks or product detection marks are recorded with a time stamp of 1 µs.
The comprehensive technology library provides a simple user interface to configure interactions between position sensors and actuators – with automatic time/position conversion and dead time compensation.
Sorting with ease using B&R SmartBelt technology
B&R's SmartBelt technology library controls all the movements involved in aligning unsorted products on a conveyor belt. In primary and secondary packaging machines, products are aligned at regular intervals. This requires one or more conveyor belts depending on the belt speed and the length and weight of the products themselves.
Controlled axis-synchronized stopping
The intelligent B&R ACOPOSmulti motion control system automatically detects dips in the primary power supply and initiates an emergency shutdown. The kinetic energy that remains in the motors is used to maintain automation functionality until the system reaches a complete stop. The ACOPOSmulti's active power supply module generates 24 VDC for the controllers, I/O modules and drives – eliminating the need for a UPS. The intelligent solutions from B&R prevent production wastage and eliminate the time-consuming process of getting the plant up and running again after a power failure.
- Direct drive control of cutting axis
- Stainless steel HMI panels with hygienic design
- Stainless steel servo motors with hygienic design
- Mechatronic machine design with distributed automation solutions
- X67 and X20 I/O modules
- Safe motion control and safe responses
- Low-threshold error detection in the 80 - 7 ms rangePreventative maintenance: Integrated vibration signature analysis for condition monitoringIntegrated vision inspection via POWERLINK
- RFID access control for machine operationOMAC PackML conformity
- SDM: Web-based diagnostics with an unprecedented level of detail
- The ultimate solution for maintenance tasks
- On-site or remote access
- No training required
- No programming tools
- Low costs
- Efficient design