Michigan, United States
In the role of sales engineer, you will expand B&R’s business in the industrial automation industry under the supervision of experienced sales engineers. You will advance your skills by participating in an exciting development program with exposure to a variety of real-life applications and training while utilizing your current knowledge of your field of study.
The extensive development program that B&R offers will allow you to be successful in your new position. You will go through several stages of training which includes: B&R engineering camp, application engineering, interaction with different offices and departments, and spending time in our B&R sales camp.
A Sales Engineer performs a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform:
- Develop new customer accounts for B&R through execution of Target Account Business Plan
- Identify, define, and develop the best technical solution and strategy for customer applications
- Hold in-depth technical presentations and discussions with customers • Grow sales at existing customers through exceptional sales support
- Grow business by contacting prospective customers via phone and email.
- Work with B&R Marketing team to promote sales efforts
- Promote and sell B&R product and engineering capabilities
- Attend yearly sales meetings and workshops
- Travel locally up to 50% of the time with occasional international travel; Passport required
Our Investment in You
The sales engineering role with B&R starts in a top-tier sales development program that lasts approximately 2 years.
Phase 1: Application Engineering - 12 Months
Upon hire, you will attend the world’s premier industrial automation training program at our Automation Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. The 14-week training will lead you through a post-university level automation curriculum that includes:
- B&R product training
- Controls programming
- Motion physics and motion control programming
- Motor training, induction, servo and stepper motors
- Fieldbus systems and controls communications
- PID control • Programmable safety
- Control program debugging and troubleshooting
Upon successful completion of Engineering Camp, you will spend the remainder of your first year gaining application experience. This consists of developing new software for equipment and machinery, assisting customers by expanding the capability of their machines, troubleshooting problems at customer’s facilities and providing application support via phone, email and on-site visits.
Phase 2: Internal Sales (Support) Role – 6 months
For 2-3 months, you will be stationed in your local office as an inside sales engineer role, where you will learn the process of sizing, selecting and quoting hardware for customers. These tasks will be for both new solutions at prospective customers and supporting migration paths for existing customer. You will also learn the proper business tools for quoting, forecasting and analyzing business. For the remaining time, you will travel to different B&R business units and regional offices to learn about company processes, work on special assignments and make customer-facing visits to existing and new customers as you transition to outside sales.
Phase 3: Outside Sales Role – 6 Months
The final phase is a 6-month period that introduces the outside sales role. There will be a weeklong sale training every month designed to develop and hone the skills required as a sales engineer. Conducted by experienced sales engineers, this training includes methods to grow a business by finding new prospective customers, contacting them via phone and email, and uncover their technical challenges. Outside of these weeklong trainings, you will be responsible for building a book of business by contacting prospective customers.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from a top tier four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferably C/C++ or equivalent
Additional Preferred Experience and Interests:
- Interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Motivation and drive to push projects forward to achieve results • Effectively prospect and focus on generating new business
- Independently manage daily activities within the sales territory
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Project management
Travel is approximately 50% within the sales territory. In addition, some travel will be required for occasional training and internal meetings at our corporate headquarters in Austria (~2/year). A Passport is required. Legal authorization to work in the U.S is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.