Minneapolis, MN, United States
In the role of application engineer, you will implement automation applications under the supervision of experienced engineers. As you advance you will develop the necessary skills to begin designing concepts for new applications, supervising trainees, managing projects, and training of less experienced engineers. You will advance your engineering skills by working with an exciting variety of real-life applications and gain knowledge in the interdisciplinary fields of mechanical and electrical systems.
New engineers will be empowered to provide our customers with state-of-the-art automation solutions. Your hands-on projects will include optimizing existing systems and integrating new solutions involving PLCs, motion control, industrial computers, process instrumentation and other control devices. This position is responsible for, project management, materials specification, design, development, and commissioning customer-specific software solutions using PLC and HMI programming. You will also perform service calls on direct projects or other engineers’ projects as needed.
The Application Engineer will perform a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform:
- Review automation application needs and document requirements
- Estimate implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Create project plans
- Develop and document control application designs
- Program automation applications
- Develop formal test plans and scripts, then execute testing
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
- Track and report project status
- Travel to customer locations to resolve technical problems
Upon hire, you will attend a 20-week training program in our office in Atlanta. In this program, one of our experienced engineers will lead you through a university level automation curriculum that includes:
- B&R Product Training
- Controls programming
- Motion physics and motion control programming
- Motor training, induction, servo and stepper motors
- Fieldbus systems and controls communications
- PID control
- Programmable safety
- Control program debugging and troubleshooting
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Application development experience in a high-level preferred ‘C’
- Preferred Experience and Interests:
- Motion control systems
- IEC 61131 programming languages (ladder diagram, structured text)
- In depth knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Visual Basic 6.0, Visual NET
- Real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
- Great interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Project management
Travel is approximately 25%. This includes short notice service trips within the US (1-5 day duration, typically less than 3 days). The frequency of service trips will vary with specific need. In addition, some travel will be required for occasional training or internal meetings in Austria (~2/year). A Passport is required.
B&R offers an excellent opportunity to work for an international company with a great working environment. You will be part of a fun, dynamic team and work closely with our Austrian headquarters, partners, customers, and B&R colleagues, as well as enjoy a mixture of travel and office time.
The Application Engineering team is comprised of automation engineers who assist customers in implementing new machines and automation using B&R technology. Application Engineers participate in pre-sales discussions, qualify customer applications, specify hardware configurations, document application requirements, develop automation application designs, program, and test applications, and perform customer training.
If you think that you have what it takes to accept this great position, we want to talk to you!
Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-term and Long-term Disability, Life and Accidental Death, 401K
Join the Automation Team
Send us your resume and we’ll get started.