The demand for vertical form fill seal (VFFS) systems illustrates how consumer preferences can change over time and reflects an increased emphasis on sustainability. End users are looking for flexible packaging machines able to produce a wide range of bags and pouches that also make very efficient use of raw materials.
Controlling motion with complete flexibility
Controlling motion with complete flexibility
When electronic cam profiles are used in packaging machines, it is often necessary to change motion profiles on a running machine. Some examples include product or packaging changeover, registration mark correction, simultaneous cut-and-seal functions, belt tracking and product handling. The B&R Cam Profile Automat allows machine operators to change motion profiles dynamically without requiring any new calculations on the controller. Application development becomes easier, faster and more robust since performance is guaranteed independently of the controller's processing power, network connectivity and the number of axes being controlled.
The Cam Profile Automat allows new profiles to be generated and stored directly on the servo drive every 400 µs. The programmer can define a variety of boundary conditions and limits such as profile type, position, speed, acceleration and rotation. The optimal transition profile is calculated in real time, taking into consideration external events such as hardware and software states.
B&R's Cam Profile Automat combines the advantages of centralized programming, distributed performance and highly flexible profile changes – all at the top speeds achieved by the fastest machines on the market. Cam profiles are programmed and configured in B&R's Automation Studio engineering environment. The B&R Cam Profile Automat is a 100% software solution provided as a standard feature on all ACOPOS servo drives.
Film control – B&R's specialty
All types of rolled packaging material, including ultra-thin and elastic films, can be processed perfectly with B&R's technology library. Automatic speed control adjustments as well as feed forward control for speed and acceleration maintain the necessary tension during the acceleration and deceleration phases of high-speed packaging machines.
- Winding/Unwinding with open-loop torque-based tension control
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, analog dancer feedback
- Winding/Unwinding with closed-loop tension control, digital encoder feedback
- Automatic roll change with high-precision sensorless diameter calculation
- Intelligent, predictive registration mark correction with the MC_BR_RegMarkCapture library
- Precise temperature control during heating and cooling with integrated autotuning algorithm
Perfect integration of high-precision multihead scales
B&R's complete range of food and liquid dosing solutions deliver outstanding speed along with exceptional precision. Multihead scales can be integrated seamlessly into a VFFS control system to bring added flexibility, productivity and ease of maintenance.
- Direct control of vibratory feeders
- Full-bridge strain gauge inputs with 24-bit converter resolution at 7.5 kHz, directly connected to B&R X20 or X67 I/O modules
- Stepper or brushless motor control for hoppers
- Software algorithm for optimal net weight calculation
Gluing, marking and waste detection with 1 µs precision
B&R NetTime provides high-performance synchronization in real time via POWERLINK. Multiple encoder positions (real or virtual) and distributed I/O channels (analog or digital) are synchronized with 1 µs precision.
This eliminates the need for external devices for digital cam switching required by high-speed packaging machines for applications such as shooting glue, marking products and rejecting waste.
NetTime digital output patterns can be controlled with extremely short high/low times for a resolution of 125 ns. In the same way, fast input edges such as registration marks or product detection marks are recorded with a time stamp of 1 µs.
The comprehensive technology library provides a simple user interface to configure interactions between position sensors and actuators – with automatic time/position conversion and dead time compensation.
Conserving energy with regenerative power supply
In virtually every production cycle, machines are required to continuously accelerate and decelerate heavy loads. B&R's ACOPOSmulti drive system converts the kinetic energy generated during braking movements into power and then feeds it back into the mains supply. Up to 30% of overall energy consumption can be regenerated – for considerable cost savings.
Power regeneration prevents additional heat from being generated by braking resistors, making it no longer necessary to install and maintain expensive cooling systems. The integrated power regeneration system is not only highly efficient, but also environmentally-friendly.
Controlled axis-synchronized stopping
The intelligent B&R ACOPOSmulti motion control system automatically detects dips in the primary power supply and initiates an emergency shutdown. The kinetic energy that remains in the motors is used to maintain automation functionality until the system reaches a complete stop. The ACOPOSmulti's active power supply module generates 24 VDC for the controllers, I/O modules and drives – eliminating the need for a UPS. The intelligent solutions from B&R prevent production wastage and eliminate the time-consuming process of getting the plant up and running again after a power failure.
- Linear motor control for cross-sealing jaws for increased productivity
- Stainless steel HMI panels with hygienic design
- Stainless steel servo motors with hygienic design
- Mechatronic machine design with distributed automation solutions
- X67 and X20 I/O modules
- Safe motion control and safe responses
- Low-threshold error detection in the 80 - 7 ms range
- Preventative maintenance: Integrated vibration signature analysis for condition monitoring
- Integrated vision inspection via POWERLINK
- RFID access control for machine operation
- OMAC PackML conformity
- SDM: Web-based diagnostics with an unprecedented level of detail
- The ultimate solution for maintenance tasks
- On-site or remote access
- No training required
- No programming tools
- Low costs
- Efficient design