In the role of application engineer, you will implement automation applications under the supervision of experienced engineers. Application Engineers participate in pre-sales discussions, qualify customer applications, specify hardware configurations, document application requirements, develop automation application designs, program, test applications, and perform customer training. You will advance your engineering skills by working with an exciting variety of real-life applications and gaining experience with interdisciplinary electro-mechanical systems.
New engineers will be empowered to provide our customers with state-of-the-art automation solutions. Your hands-on projects will include optimizing existing systems and integrating new solutions involving Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), motion control, industrial computers, process instrumentation and other control devices. This position is responsible for project management, materials specification, software design, software development, and commissioning customer-specific solutions using PLC and HMI programming. You will also perform service calls on projects as needed.
The Application Engineer will perform a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform:
- Develop and document control application designs
- Program automation applications
- Develop and execute formal test plans and scripts
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
- Track and report project status
- Resolve technical problems at customer locations
- Review automation application needs and document requirements
- Estimate implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Create project plans
- Our Investment in You
Upon hire, you will attend the world’s premier industrial automation training program at our Automation Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. The 14-week training will lead you through a post-university level automation curriculum that includes:
- B&R Product Training
- Controls programming
- Motion physics and motion control programming
- Motor technologies - induction, servo and stepper
- Fieldbus systems and controls communications
- PID control
- Programmable safety
- Control program debugging and troubleshooting
- Work Environment
B&R offers an excellent opportunity to work for an international company with a great working environment. You will be part of a fun, dynamic, high performance team and work closely with our Austrian headquarters, partners, customers, and B&R colleagues, both in the office and on site at the customer. The Application Engineering team is comprised of automation engineers who assist customers in implementing new machines and automation using B&R technology.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferred ‘C’
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Additional Preferred Experience and Interests:
- Motion control systems
- IEC 61131 programming languages (ladder diagram, structured text)
- Interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Project management
- Real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Travel is approximately 25%. This includes short notice service trips within the US (1-5 day duration, typically less than 3 days). The frequency of service trips will vary with specific need. In addition, some travel will be required for occasional training or internal meetings in Austria (~2/year). A Passport is required.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-term and Long-term Disability, Life and Accidental Death, 401K
Join the Automation Team
If you think that you have what it takes to accept this great position, we want to talk to you!
Send us your resume and we’ll get started.