Selecting options and determining the order code
Cooling / Construction type (b)
The 8LVA servo motor series is available in three different sizes (1, 2, 3). They have different dimensions (especially flange dimensions) and power ratings. These different sizes are indicated by a number represented by (c) in the model number. The larger the number, the larger the flange dimensions and power rating for the respective motor.
- Cooling typeAvailable sizes123AYesYesYes
Valid codes: 1, 2, 3
Encoder system (ee)
Encoders are listed as part of the model number in the form of a 2-digit code (ee).
- Size/LengthCode for order key (ee) / Availability of motor encodersR0B1B8B98LVx13YesYes------8LVx22YesYesYesYes8LVx23YesYesYesYes8LVx33YesYesYesYes
Motors in the 8LV series are available with EnDat encoders as well as resolvers. The encoder system is listed as part of the model number in the form of a 2-digit code (ee).
A resolver is an analog encoder system. Resolvers are particularly robust against vibrations and high operating temperatures. A disadvantage is the low accuracy of 6-10 arcmin. Furthermore, no multi-turn variant with resolvers is possible.
Digital encoders use a serial transfer protocol. This protocol is called EnDat. The EnDat protocol is a developed standard that incorporates the advantages of absolute and incremental position measurement and also offers a read/write parameter memory in the encoder. The embedded parameter chip is stored by B&R in this encoder memory. This data and the B&R ACOPOS systems form a plug-and-play drive solution. Absolute positioning can be used within a revolution with the single-turn variants. A homing procedure is not required because of the absolute position measurement. For applications where the motor covers several revolutions for positioning, a multi-turn encoder that can save up to 65535 revolutions can be used. A solution with a single-turn encoder variant with a homing procedure is also possible.
RE-15-1-J04 resolvers are used in the motors.
- Encoder type / Order code(ee)R0Precision10 angular minutesVibration during operation
10 < f ≤ 500 Hz≤500 m/s²Shock during operation
Duration 11 ms≤1,000 m/s²
EnDat 2.2 encoder
For the advanced, fully digital EnDat 2.2 protocol, the positions are generated directly in the encoder and communicated serially with the drive system. This transfer is very robust in relation to disturbances and is even certified for safety applications.
Digital drive systems and position control loops require fast and highly secure transfer of data obtained from position measuring instruments. In addition, other data such as drive-specific characteristics, correction tables, etc. should also be available. To ensure a high level of system security, measuring instruments must be integrated in routines for detecting errors and be able to perform diagnostics.
The EnDat interface from HEIDENHAIN is a digital, bidirectional interface for measuring instruments. It is able to output position values from incremental and absolute measuring instruments and can also read and update information on the measuring instrument or store new data there. Because it relies on serial data transfer, only 4 signal lines are needed. Data is transferred synchronously to the clock signal defined by the subsequent electronics. The type of transfer used (e.g. for position values, parameters, diagnostics, etc.) is selected using mode commands sent to the measuring instrument by the subsequent electronics.
- Encoder type / Order code(ee)B1B8B9Operating principleInductiveEnDat protocolEnDat 2.2Single-turn / Multi-turnMSMBattery-backedYesNoRevolutions6553614096Resolution[bits single-turn / bits multi-turn]18/1619/019/12Precision ['']120Switching frequency ≥ [kHz]Digital pos. in the encoderVibration during operation - StatorMax [m/s2]300400Vibration during operation - RotorMax [m/s2]300600Shock during operation max [m/s2]10002000Manufacturer's product IDEBI 1135ECI 1119 FSEQI 1131 FSManufacturer's websitewww.heidenhain.de
Valid codes: R0, B1, B8, B9
Nominal speed (nnn)
The nominal speed is listed as part of the model number in the form of a 3-digit code (nnn). This code represents the nominal speed divided by 100 at 80 VDC operation. It begins with zero. The code "030" corresponds to a speed of 3000 rpm.
- Size/LengthAvailable nominal speeds nN [rpm] at 80 VDC operation150021003000Code for order key (nnn)0150210308LVA13Yes---Yes8LVA22Yes---Yes8LVA23Yes---Yes8LVA33YesYes---
Valid codes: 015, 021, 030
Oil seal (ff)
The 8LV servo motors in sizes 2 and 3 are available with an optional Form A oil seal in accordance with DIN 3760. When equipped with an oil seal, the motors have IP65 protection in accordance with EN 60034-5.
Proper lubrication of the oil seal must be ensured throughout the entire service life of the motor.
Valid codes: See motion options table
Holding brake (ff)
Motors in the 8LV series can be delivered with a holding brake. It is used to hold the motor shaft when no power is applied to the motor.
The holding brake is controlled by the ACOPOS servo drive. It uses permanent magnets that are demagnetized when 24 VDC is applied to a magnet winding. This releases the brake.
This brake is designed as a holding brake and is not permitted to be used for operational braking! Under these conditions, the brake has a service life of approximately 5,000,000 cycles (opening and closing the brake is one cycle).
Loaded braking during an emergency stop is permitted but reduces its service life. The required brake holding torque is determined based on the actual load torque. It is recommended to take into account a safety factor of 2 for the load torque.
Technical data for the standard holding brake
- Motor size123Holding torque MBr [Nm]0.352.23.2Connected load POn [W]88.413.4Maximum speed nmax [rpm]60001200012000Supply current IOn [A]0.330.350.56Supply voltage UOn [V]24 VDC +6% / -10%24 VDC +6% / -10%24 VDC +6% / -10%Moment of inertia JBr [kgcm²]0.0130.070.38Mass mBr [kg]0.10.160.29
Valid codes: See motion options table
Shaft end (ff)
All 8LV servo motor shafts comply with DIN 748. They can be delivered with a smooth shaft or a keyed shaft (depending on motor size).
- Smooth shaft endA smooth shaft end is used for a force-fit shaft-hub connection and guarantees a backlash-free connection between the shaft and hub as well as a high degree of operating smoothness. The end of the shaft has a threaded center hole.
- Keyed shaft endA keyed shaft end is used for a form-fit torque transfer with low demands on the shaft-hub connection and for handling torque in a constant direction.The keyways for the servo motors in this series conform to keyway form N1 in accordance with DIN 6885-1. Form A keyed shafts that conform to DIN 6885-1 are used. Balancing motors with keyways is done using the shaft and fitment key convention in accordance with DIN ISO 8821. The end of the shaft has a threaded center hole that can be used to mount machine actuators with shaft end cover plates.
Valid codes: See motion options table
Special motor options (gg)
Motor version (h)
Order code motor options (ff)
For the corresponding code (ff) for the order key, see the following table:
- Code fororder key (ff)Available forsizeMotor optionsConnection (300° stepless rotation)Oil sealHolding brakeShaft endD01, 2, 3Double angular built-in connector------SmoothD12, 3Double angular built-in connector------With keyD21, 2, 3Double angular built-in connector---YesSmoothD32, 3Double angular built-in connector---YesWith keyD61, 2, 3Double angular built-in connectorYes---SmoothD72, 3Double angular built-in connectorYes---With keyD81, 2, 3Double angular built-in connectorYesYesSmoothD92, 3Double angular built-in connectorYesYesWith keyS02, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)------SmoothS12, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)------With keyS22, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)---YesSmoothS32, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)---YesWith keyS62, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)Yes---SmoothS72, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)Yes---With keyS82, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)YesYesSmoothS92, 3Single-cable solution (hybrid)YesYesWith key
Example order 1
A three-phase synchronous motor of type 8LVA22 with a nominal speed of 3000 rpm has been selected for an application.
The connection should use a single-cable solution (hybrid). The motor should be equipped with a holding brake, a keyed shaft and an EnDat encoder.
The (ee) code for the encoder system is B1.
The (nnn) code for a nominal speed of 3000 rpm is 030.
The (ff) code for the other options is S3.
The model number for the required motor is therefore 8LVA22.B1030S300-0.
Example order 2
A three-phase synchronous motor of type 8LVA33 with a nominal speed of 1500 rpm has been selected for an application.
The connection should use a double angled built-in connector. The motor should be equipped without a holding brake, with a smooth shaft end and resolver encoder. The motor should also be equipped with a oil seal.
The code (ee) for the encoder system is R0.
The code (nnn) for a nominal speed of 1500 rpm is 015.
The (ff) code for the other options is D6.
The model number for the required motor is therefore 8LVA33.R0015D600-0.